Saturday, September 21, 2013

Celebrating Anniversary at a Book Fair

I spent my first year at work in a haven for learning - The Book Fair! Since I have no one to date with to celebrate this embarking moment of my life, I pulled out a book lover officemate with me and indulged in a geeky way of taking a break from the stressors at work and start looking for the unusual cheap finds at the Fair!



I am not a hundred percent bookworm. I read a lot, but I only prefer the same list of genres since then, and I never want to explore reading something new to my mind. But the enticing book scent welcomed you as you enter the vicinity, just like the aroma of a sumptuous food tingling your appetite. The pleasant smell of the thousand books exhibited in the fair made me crave to enter the world of knowledge and explore what it instills.

A lot of exhibitors were present in the fair. Major bookstores, textbook publishers, religious printing press from various sectors (Catholic, Protestant, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc) and different Filipino independent publishers nationwide. Side events and book signing of different authors were scheduled every day as well. And what I really like about book fairs is they give a big discount exclusively to the book fair visitors. That's something looking forward about this kind of events!


I was not really prepared about visiting this fair. So I felt somehow lost about what to look for and what to buy. Hence lessons to be taken note of are the following:

  1. Have yourself a list of books (title or at least a genre) of what you would like to search for or buy. Almost all of the books were present in the fair yet I did not know what I really like to have after all.
  2. In this part, I might be charged a lawsuit case for saying this, but I advise everyone to prefer getting Filipino/local books instead of the books from the foreign publishers. Admit that electronic book copies spread in the online space and sometimes they come for a cheaper price or even free, so I prefer looking for books from local publishers since they rarely release e-copies. But if you're more comfortable reading in the paperback copies, then go grab it! LOL



We came across PSICOM Publishing and we found Pinoy entertainment books written by Filipino authors Stanley Chi, Ramon Bautista, Tado Jimenez, etc. Never thought we would have such entertaining materials that are very light to read; a break indeed from those serious themed books that I used to read.

Other finds

Aside from books, you can also get school
supplies for a lower price! Of course you all know
I'm graduated from this stuffs.

Indeed an evidence that technology invades books. Several
e-books were already exhibited in the fair and you can
purchase a copy for your electronic gadget. I'm still not
 used to seeing e-books substituting the paperbacks.
Though I myself is already an e-book reader,
 having experienced reading almost several
electronic copies through my iPad/iPhone.

Keri Smith

I visited FullyBooked Booth and stumbled upon Keri Smith's cool activity books and journals. Me and my friend had the longest time of our visit as we got confused on what Keri Smith book we would get.

(L) Mess Book: More like a Wreck This Journal Book. As the title speaks, it is more about random ramblings in life, writing it without control and living a better life from mistakes. (R) Finish This Book is a book for geeks. I like it how it teaches you unique writing codes so you can scribble freely without anyone getting it.
How to be an Explorer of the World is I guess a book for introverts like me. It makes you realize the things that make you up and yet remained unnoticed. Sounds deep but I love its fieldwork activities. (Credits)
Of course this is what I got after a long time of contemplating: the famous Wreck This Journal! This is a very cathartic way to express your grievances in life - A perfect partner again for introverts like me!

What I got

I only got few Filipino books and PSICOM, Wreck This Journal (which I got a 20% off) and a Doraemon Comics in Filipino with notebook and a pencil as freebies!






'Til my next geeky adventure!

Always,

 



No comments:

Post a Comment