Saturday, May 5, 2012

Confessions of a Heavy Packer

As much as I want to follow the different tips on how to pack light luggage featured in the Internet, TV or magazines, I still cannot avoid myself to be a heavy packer when travelling.

Dala mo na ata buong bahay niyo ah? Isang linggo ba tayo dito? Three days lang lakad natin ah?
I always receive these statements from my friends and relatives during our outings and getaways. Tomorrow will be my flight to Samal Island, Davao with my mom and sister and I can already anticipate the usual words they will say about my heavy luggage. However, while I was packing up just while ago, I was able to provide some reasons, or I should say... confessions about being a heavy packer.
My Favorite Swimming Earrings. It never gets rusted.

1. FASHION
     I cannot go out with just a plain shirt, jeans/shorts and flat shoes on (except when doing field works). I want everything to be distinct by spicing it up with style. I always bring my jewelry kit with me to put accents to my everyday get-up to garnish my look. I always choose accessories that are okay to soak in the water so you can still swim with 'style'. Aside from that, I always bring extra (excess) clothes so I can have a variety of choices whenever I change my mood towards wearing my 'get-up for the day'.

2. GADGETS (emphasis on letter S)
      DSLRs are already given to be bulky and heavy. It is one of the major space eater in my luggage. I also have my underwater camera with me to capture the wonderful view underneath the clear waters of the beach. Obviously, my love for photos may be my reasons of being a heavy packer. But in my point of view, cameras are the most powerful devices to capture memories. Travelling to a different yet magnificent place may be once in a lifetime and photos will be the ones that can let you remember not just the beautiful views and sceneries of the place, but of the memories you had in that place and the people whom you shared happiness with. PLUS, good photo qualities can gain more likes and comments from your Facebook friends! hmmmmm.

3. SKIN ALLERGIES
Sunblock, Face cream and emergency steroid cream
     I have this skin asthma and I tend to have white spots on my skin everytime I get exposed to the sun and water (Well, I always have them. It just triggers when I'm exposed). These dermatologist-recommended bottles should never leave my luggage everytime I travel to make my sensitive skin moistened and protected from total dryness that might lead to severe skin allergies. I don't want to ruin my getaways because of my skin asthma attack so I would rather carry heavier stuffs than be ugly and feel irritated.

4. VANITY
My Orange lipstick from Lime Crime
and Hot Pink Lip Stain from In2it

     Just like the fact that I can't show myself in plain outfit, I also don't feel at ease in going out wearing a very pale look. Since wearing eye makeup is a big no-no in swimming, I usually get bright and long lasting lip colors to takeover my overall look and to complement the summer mood.





5. I AM JUST A NATURAL EXCESSIVE PACKER
      I have this disorder of always feeling that something might happen and I will get stranded in the place. This feeling tends me to be prepared for anything unforeseen occurrences. It makes me pack almost everything in my closet, from bringing more extra underwear, clothes, and even blanket (though I know my hotel can provide stuffs I already brought). Well, it's okay to be prepared all the time, just like the old motto of the girl scouts.

I hope I became reasonable enough in providing my points of defense against those light packers. However, I know I should learn the science of light packing with style and fashion next time. But for now, I should stick with my reason, "It is better to be prepped up and prepared".

Enjoy the rest of the summer! Off to Samal Island :) with my heavy luggage full of anik-anik.

DISCLAIMER: This may be my 'vainest' post ever. However, just allow me to express the all the vanity enclosed in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment