Friday, February 15, 2013

Our P0.00 Valentine Challege

Consumerism attacks everytime we celebrate the season of love (Well I guess every celebration has its own consumerist approach). Too much flowers that will eventually wither through time, too much teddy bears that will be stuck up on beds' head boards accumulating dust and allergens, too much chocolates that will ruin every girl's diet, stuffs that looks so romantic today, but will be certainly put on display on our meager closets and office tables the next day.

That's why we decided to hold our First P0.00 Valentine Challenge, where we have to express the special day of love creatively, without a single penny involved! And I guess that would be a perfect idea for the two of us since I was not able to go out for date on Valentines due to my post dental operation recovery.

It all started with a DOODLE PAD. Since I can't open my mouth because of the stitches I had during my operation, I was just writing what I would want to say on a doodle app on iPad. Before he left that day, he asked which place I would love to go for Valentines. Considering my condition, I would definitely not enjoy our date. So I was able to come up with a simpler, yet challenging activity, where we have to extract all the creative juices in our heads to present a creative and P0.00 budget Valentine act. I was glad, he signed our contract, a sign that he was willing to ride on my follies.

What I did: 
I had worn my typical 'high school' outfit: puffed-sleeved blouse, Mary Jane Crocs, 
my signature turban (yes I was known for that before) a sided bangs and the
 perfume that I used to wear  because I wanted to bring him back to the time
 when we first met, and savor the memories we had shared in the past.
 (Please ignore my swollen face and the ice pack due to my dental operation).


I also brought a scrapbook that I designed way back 2008. It remained unwritten for four
 years because we broke up the year after. I was able to salvage it and we scribbled the
 things we wanted to say to each other, along with the bucketlist that we want to do together.
What he did:
I was able to predict that he would sing for me. But never did it cross in my mind
 that he would equip himself with a Barong Tagalog and a recorded instrumental clip
 that he arranged himself using his organ at home to complete the musical ensemble.
A modern serenade indeed!
Of course, a flower was as usual present in the scene. But this time, he assured that he
 picked it up on a rosebed he found along the streets of the Naval Base, just blocks away
from his home.


It was never in my dreams to receive a bouquet of flowers, huge teddy bears and boxes of chocolates because my tables are occupied with more important documents, I would rather save my room's spare space for makeup and shoes and I am watching my calorie intake at the moment. But killing the dorkiness and harshness inside, I would still dream for a romantic Valentines Day... a day where I can spend the entire day with him as lovers but not through flowers and sharing memories over material things.

Always,

1 comment: